Mastering compression, limiting, and de-essing without compromise.
Every mastering engineer’s fondest dream is about to come true.
Since its launch in the 1990s the Weiss DS1 has become an absolute gold-standard unit, indispensable in mastering studios around the world despite a premium price tag. Its transparency, unparalleled versatility, and exceptional sound quality make it a must-have, heard (or rather not heard) on pretty much any major record you’d care to mention from the last twenty years. And in that time updates and improvements by Weiss have led to the near-perfection of the DS1-MK3.
And now for the first time ever, it is available as a plug-in from Softube, offering more flexibility than ever in a modern DAW environment, at a fraction of the cost.
What is the Weiss DS1-MK3?
This digital compressor/limiter/de-esser performs tasks no analog unit ever could, across a wider range of settings. World-renowned mastering engineer, Bob Katz, author of Mastering Audio (hailed by Sound on Sound magazine as ‘the definitive work on mastering’), and three times Grammy winner, described the original hardware unit as ‘impeccable’, saying ‘it is the most transparent, refined, flexible, and least “digital-sounding” dynamics processor I have ever used.’
Working in collaboration with Weiss Digital Audio, this latest addition to the already rich and desirable Softube product range has been almost three years in development. Porting the code perfectly, line by line, from the original unit so that the plug-in sounds identical was just one task. Recreating the workflow and characteristic broad and usable functionality that made the Weiss such a legend was another.
Running at 32 bit/192 kHz (an upgrade on even the hardware original) the plug-in opens up the absolute pinnacle of sound quality to everyone. And with two all-new advanced limiter algorithms in addition to the Weiss original, nothing touches this processor for sheer excellence.
Mastering like the masters is open to all for the first time, with all the loudness, clarity, and precision, and none of the drawbacks.
- Officially licensed and endorsed by Daniel Weiss himself
- Not an emulation, but a line-by-line code port of the original digital hardware
- Exactly the same processor as the $10,000 original, at a fraction of the cost
- Three processors in one; de-ess, compress, and limit, with the industry standard tool
- Processes at resolutions of up to 32 bit/192 kHz for exceptional sound quality
- Advanced metering - waveform view
- Featuring all new presets from Bob Katz
- Truly versatile de-essing. Choose your own filters, adjust frequency, and tailor the process to your needs working in stereo or mid-sides
- Digital compressor can operate at speeds no analog unit ever could, and offers you total control.
- Two brand-new limiter algorithms included, as well as the Weiss original
- Run multiple instances of this legendary unit on the same mix at no extra cost
- Nothing sounds as clean, as transparent, as good. That’s why the hardware is in every major mastering studio in the world
Version 2.0 of the Softube plug-ins have the following minimum requirements:
All Native Versions:
- Mac OS X 10.9 or newer
- Windows 64-bit, versions 8 or 10
- Intel Core 2 Duo, AMD Athlon 64 X2 or newer
- Screen resolution larger than 1280x800
- 1 GB RAM or more, and at least 6 GB hard disk space for installation (individual plug-ins take less space)
- Any VST, VST3, AU, or AAX (Pro Tools 10.3.7, 11.0.2 or higher) compatible host application
- Softube/Gobbler account
- Gobbler application to manage license activation and plug-in downloads
- Please make sure that you always use the latest iLok License Manager. It is not included in the Softube installer, but can be downloaded from www.ilok.com
- Broadband internet access for downloading installer and register licenses
- Windows XP and Vista are no longer officially supported
- All Softube plug-ins support both 32- and 64-bit hosts, although a 64-bit OS is required. Supported sample rates: 44.1, 48, 88.2, 96, 176.4 and 192 kHz, in both mono and stereo